Monday, August 9, 2010

Too hot for comfort

Another day too hot to do much of anything outside. The mercury climbed into the nineties again and once again, for the second straight day, I was moved to activate the air conditioning. Then a little later, I turned it off and went to play some tennis with the boys. My Matrix thermometer read 97 on the way to Marie Park. Eight of the die hard geezers showed up and we started to play. It was playable for a while. We managed a close 6-4 set, and then my good sense intervened and I quit to go home to the AC. I had finished a jug of Gatorade and was beginning to get into the ice water by this time. I live to play another day. Wednesday, I think.

This is another scene from Como Park at near dusk. It's a pool near the Conservatory that I've pictured several times before, but it's a new month and a pretty spot.



We had a weird power outage last night here. The electricity didn't go completely away. The lights were on, but very, very dim, and there wasn't enough juice to power the wireless landline phone, plus the microwave and stereo lost their time function. The internet connection went away. The street lights in front of the house worked, but the ones in the alley failed. I'm calling it a brownout. The lights came back with full power at about midnight, about the time Unky Herb returned from Chicago.

1 comment:

santini said...

Again, that whole mad dog and Englishmen thing.

Your story about your electricity is strange. It sounds a bit ominous in the midst of a heat wave.