Friday, August 6, 2010

Stone Watcher

I've been wondering about the sculpture at High Bridge Park, the companion piece to the huge green lawn chair that sits in the same park. I was at Harriet Island getting some exercise and a walk around looking at the new rain garden, so on the way home after crossing the High Bridge (aka Smith Avenue Bridge), I stopped to get a photo. Actually two photos - front and back of the Stone Watcher, a pile of rocks that I've driven by often, on the St Clair end of the High Bridge. It seems to be a pile of rocks lashed together with cables, and apparently, that's what it is.

The front:



The back, or if you prefer, the obverse. Or maybe this is the front:



It's a cute little park, the name of which I had to figure out from the internet - High Bridge Park. There didn't seem to be a name attached to the sculpture either, but the internet knows. The internet knows almost everything. I uploaded a screen shot from google maps of the park and the sculpture itself. See below.



It was also farmer's market day at St Thomas Aquinas. I stopped by for a half dozen ears of corn, some green beans and a carton of cherry tomatoes. I was pleased with my purchases, and when I got home I found that the Prairie Princess had arrived with a gift of free tomatoes from a co-worker. And this goes into the fridge with the veggies that my cousin, Charlotte, gave me yesterday when I visited her in Menomonie. It's that time of year when the gardeners in your life have beaucoup produce and begin to give it away. She had zucchini to spare. And cukes. And early potatoes. There are salads in my future.

Later I played about an hour of tennis with Curt. Just banging the ball back and forth and trying out some aggressive play. A guy walked by and remarked that it was nice to see guys playing who really knew how to play. It warmed the cockles of my heart. We were just having fun. It is nice to be appreciated, however, even by anonymous passersby.

1 comment:

santini said...

Is that really art?

Google maps has a lot of wrong stuff on it. It has three streets on it in Holland, in areas that I ride regularly, where no street exists. A couple are driveways, one place there isn't even a path.

Nice compliment, indeed.

I have free veggie envy.