Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back from the shore of Lake Michigan

I'm back in Minnesota after a week on the edge of Lake Michigan. I played no tennis there, but managed to eat well, walk the shore of the big lake and rest up for some more sessions of tennis. This week promises to be filled with the sound of strings meeting fuzzy tennis balls.

In honor of the last week I present two photos. One of the pictured objects graces the shoreline and has since 1907 - more than 100 years. The other was there for but a fraction of a minute, during which time I was able to capture its image.

Big Red, the Holland State Park light house was built in 1907 and still guards the harbor. The gull on the rail was a fortuitous accident. Every trip I have made to Michigan seems to result in me taking another picture of this structure. And it doesn't change very much from year to year.



This footprint in the sand is gone. I took it as PP walked up the beach and I followed. It's her footprint. Shortly thereafter a wave erased it. That's about as temporary as any of my featured photos has ever been.



I managed to get in three sets of tennis and a ten point tiebreaker this morning at Marie Park. Rich is in town from Tucson and we are planning some extra sets tomorrow. Singles. After taking a week off, I played pretty well this morning and didn't tire out as I have sometimes earlier in this very hot summer. I did take a hard serve from my partner on my melon in the second set, but seem no worse for the impact. Not even a knob at the point of impact. A tennis ball is much less harmful than one of those baseballs that the Twins use in their sporting endeavors. It's nice to be back in the company of the geezers: Rich, Curt, John, Tom, Bryce, Dennis, and Bill were part of the action today.

1 comment:

gfr said...

It sounds like a successful transition back into your ordinary routines, with lots of tennis on the agenda. Have fun.