Sunday, August 22, 2010

A continuation of the endless season

I've been playing tennis with Rich off and on for 44 years. It started at Hamline when I was a freshman and he was a sophomore in 1966. With some interruptions we've played pretty regularly when he was living in the Twin Cities. He's in town for a high school class reunion - I think the fiftieth. It was a humid Sunday morning today (dew point in the 70's), but we went to St Clair courts and put in a couple of hours playing singles. Singles isn't the usual choice of competition for a couple of 67 year olds, but we went at it anyway. We played a couple of sets and called it good enough.

On one of the more competitive points, when I was trying to make a quick pivot to return a probable passing shot, I threw a shoe and took a tumble. One of the two 50-ish guys playing on the next court, after ascertaining that the fall was superficial, said something like "old man down" He apparently uses the phrase himself when he falls. I lost a little skin, but not enough to whine about. It was an odd fall, because my shoe did come completely off and my first step in my stockinged foot cost me my balance.

My worthy opponent after the competition as we packed up to leave.



When Rich was living in Woodbury over ten years ago, and we were playing singles twice a week, we bought this trophy to pass back and forth to the guy who had last won a two out of three set match from the other guy. Rich had it on his mantle in Tucson and brought it back this trip. It's kind of a cool trophy, so I'm posting a photo of it for today. I hope to continue to compete for the prize many more times as the "endless season" continues.

2 comments:

santini said...

"Old man down" sounds harsh.

That is a nice looking trophy.

Tucson Happenings said...

We need to research the continuing point we played after the tennis ball in play bounced off another ball on the court. Wonder what the USTA would say?

Rich