Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Heat wave continues

It's hot again in this end of the world, and it appears that it will stay that way through the weekend. I was scheduled for tennis this afternoon, so I was out and about, running errands and enjoying the luxury of an air conditioned car. To get warmed up a bit, I walked along the Mississippi near Lilydale for a while. There's a pretty good bike path there and some picturesque vistas. Santini has been featuring benches occasionally on her blog, so I was, of course, struck by this seldom used bench along the path surrounded by cone flowers or maybe black-eyed susans. It looks like a fine place to rest and watch the river flow, perhaps in the early evening on days where the temperature is not life threatening.



And close by stands the 35E bridge. I've biked over this bridge several times, but it looks quite a bit different from underneath. It's also a little quieter because the traffic noise is muffled by the bridge structure.



It was 92 degrees when I got to Marie Park at 3:30 along with a couple of quarts of gatorade. Soon we had eight geezers and near geezers on the courts playing tennis, actually competing and trying to win a set or two. It was perhaps foolhardy, but we all finished two sets of fairly decent tennis. I know I was fairly fatigued at the end, and the quality of play was beginning to suffer. But we survived and retreated to Bill's nearby house and sat by his pool with some cool beverages.

I think that I'm starting to get used to the heat.

The primary election has been completed and we now know the suspects who will be running for the governorship of Minnesota in November. The mainstream candidates: Dayton, Emmer, and Horner will be ignoring PP's Ecology Democracy Party candidate, Ken Pentel. The fate of minor party candidates is usually to be ignored by the media and the major candidates. I met Ken last week at one of the princess's campaign events, and he seems like a nice guy, with a lot of idealism, with some pretty decent ideas, but sorely underfunded. I hope he gets some attention and some votes.

2 comments:

Santini said...

An attractive setting for the bench. Nice one. The photo of the underside of the bridge is unusual, but interesting. Were you standing on a train track?

I am not getting used to the heat. Ugh.

Jimi said...

Not on the tracks, but close by.

The heat and humidity are building again today. TT