Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Not a Monarch

Yesterday was too steamy for tennis. The heat index was over 100 again and storms came through in the evening and cooled it down enough for sleeping.

Today was a nicer day and it's a good thing. We played some tennis at Marie Park. Three other geezers and me. It was still hot enough to get me completely knackered after two hours and two close split sets, 7-6, 4-6. I think I was short of electrolytes by the second set and my coordination began to suffer. Luckily I was among friends and we weren't playing for money. There will be more days like today.

I understand that the Monarch butterflies are getting close to peak viewing time in Minnesota. There were a few butterflies in PP's native grass garden today, but they weren't Monarchs, maybe not even royalty, but they were doing their pollinating job on the blazing star plants. I tried to get several shots on the little guys, but they seemed to want to flutter away about the time I was ready to snap the shutter. This is about as good of a shot as I got. Does anyone know the variety of flutterby that I have here?



July is waning. Not much left before August and the lure of the blueberry patch.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Nice photo -- interesting flower. I have no idea what kind of butterfly that is, though.

Daughter of Norway said...

According to google it's an eastern tiger swallowtail. Way to attract the good ones, my dear blazingstar.