Saturday, July 10, 2010

No service

I had a little break from blogging, but decided that I'd get back into the old routine. It's July and a weekend day with very nice weather. This morning at geezer tennis we agreed that this was one of the nicest mornings in the history of mornings - perhaps a new acronym is called for here. The sky was blue, blue, blue, and the temperature in the 70's. I was glad to be playing there, but as I sometimes say, "I'm glad to be anywhere."

In any case this afternoon I came upon Unky Herb in the front yard talking on his phone, probably with his lady friend. As you can see - no shirt, no shoes, thus no service. He later went off to play some tennis with her, but probably dressed more tennis-like, and was probably allowed to serve; "everybody serves somebody" - Bob Dylan.


There were eight older guys playing tennis this morning on one of the nicest days ...etc., and we were able to play about two hours of tennis. It's a unique blend and our routine requires that we match up with a partner in a random manner using playing cards. Then we play prelims, then winners against losers, and the third set is survivors - those, who have energy to continue playing, regroup and play another set. Tennis Dennis and I played together in the third set against the cousins - Bryce and Curt. It was a good set, and went to a tie breaker - 7-6 (5). Four geezers went home mostly wrung out and tired, but managed to beat back time a bit once again. If that's not nice, what is?

Summer blog entries should have some flowers. These are wild ones growing at Crosby Farm Park. They are pretty, purple and the Prairie Princess knows their names. This picture is from last week when I was on hiatus from blogging, but not from photography. My nature walks also continued. This retirement routine surely does not suck.


And a picture from my recent trip to the Rodin Museum in Paris. It's the Burgers of Calais. I guess it was one of my favorite visits to museums when we were there. The tennis tournament was perhaps the high point, but it's really hard to choose. A lot of nice and fun days passed by the Seine.


There was a very good soccer game on ABC this afternoon from South Africa. Germany managed to win a wide open and quite entertaining game in sometimes driving rain, beating Uruguay 3-2 for third place in the World Cup. Tomorrow Spain and the Orange play for world domination.

1 comment:

Santini said...

It is good to see your blog again. I enjoy reading it, myself.

Flowers growing randomly here and there are pretty cool, I agree.

Good job on the tennis wars.