Thursday, July 22, 2010

A day of rest

It seemed like a rest day. The weather was cooler than lately, and it looked like rain most of the day. But there was very little precipitation in St Paul. There was a decisive stage of the bike race today and so I spent a couple of hours watching Andy and Alberto ride shoulder to shoulder for about five hours and finish at the top of a mountain in France less than a yard apart. And a long way ahead of third place. There are a couple of stages left, and an 8 second lead is not much, but Alberto looks like a winner.

My old tennis racket, the one I play with, is looking pretty ragged. I decided to see if there were any of the same type still available on ebay. It's an old Pro Staff 6.1, that hasn't been manufactured in about 10 years. There were about 10 listed at a variety of prices - from $20 to $179.95. I decided to try to buy one in an auction. This is not exactly a hotly desired racket, so I have a chance. This is the kind of thing I do on rest days.



There was no paint to watch dry, so I made some three bean salad. My three salad has morphed into four bean salad with pieces of carrot. It's marinating in the refrigerator as I type.

I plan to smack some forehands tomorrow ... and slice a few backhands.

3 comments:

Santini said...

Three bean salad! I need to make some. I like onion and celery in mine, rather than carrots.

Your maple tree looks healthy.

Anonymous said...

My several bean salad also includes onion and celery. The carrots are just a bonus.

The tree is supposed to be oak. I hope I wasn't hoodwinked. TT

santini said...

Sorry. I would have said that I knew the difference, too. Apparently not.

'Several bean salad'? Sounds suspiciously like a name change.