Friday, May 21, 2010

Paris Wiltin'

When you're in Paris one should take a few tourist-like photos. I didn't take any of these, but Mr Moohoo was kind enough to take a couple of shots with my camera and a couple with his. Some of them follow. Incidentally, on our first day here there was a hoist of five well known paintings from the Museum of Modern Art. It included, among others, a Picasso, a Modigliani and a Matisse. The value of the paintings was estimated at $125 million. We were negotiating the streets of Paris in a taxicab when about 6 blaring vans filled with gendarmes streamed by us. I want to go on record stating that we had nothing to do with the theft.

This is me this morning on a giant tree stump next to the Seine River. It portrays the two oldest objects in Paris according to Mr Moohoo. Me and the stump. Photo with my camera by Moohoo. We were on a mission to view Notre Dame Cathedral before the tourists arrived.


This is me on the early morning walk by the Louvre standing near a famous sculpture on the grounds of the largest art museum in Paris. Photo with my camera by Mr Moohoo. (I don't remember the sculptor or the name of the art, but I may be able to retrieve it tomorrow. The Louvre is just two blocks away.


And afternoon walk to the Arc de Triomphe found me in the middle of the Avenue de Champs Elysee appearing to be in harm's way. I was in a pedestrian island, but I was a little nervous. Photo from Mr Moohoo's camera and by his hand.


A photo from yesterday by and from Mr Moohoo. I am seen watering the pitiful chives in the planter's on the balcony at our rented abode. They were severely dried out (wiltin') and I'm attempting to revive then with "l'eau" for some future renter. I look a little geezerish in the photo, but "that is as it should be." It's a nice view of the building across Rue St. Honore from here.


St Honore is incidentally the patron saint of bakeries and bread makers. Ironically we are spending most of our money on bread and pastries (chiefly chocolate eclairs and almond filled pastries).

The effects of jet lag are abating, but this morning at about 2 a.m. Gino and I met in the living room here, each of us slept out and waiting for the sun. We are doing better today.

1 comment:

Santini said...

John was wondering if you guys had anything to do with the art heist. The two oldest things in Paris? LOL.

It sounds like you're making the most of the 'recovery' period. Jet lag is not fun.

Nice pics, whoever took them. I'm feeling like an armchair tourist.