Saturday, May 8, 2010

The lilacs continue to bloom

The weather creatures predicted snow overnight last night. Sven on channel 11 said that we got a trace, a factoid that I can't corroborate. It was chilly when I left for tennis at 8:30, but there was no snow here. Sven also reported 4.5 inches in Duluth. That may be correct. No matter. The lilacs continue to bloom in my backyard, the cold had no effect on their health.



The cold also failed to discourage the rabbits. Because of our early spring the "experts" are saying that there will be four generations of the blighters this year instead of the usual three. So far they haven't been a problem, other than surprising me most evenings around dusk, but I fear for my tomato crop. The eyes of the rabbit seem to always grab the light of the flash and reflect it back. It makes for an eerie picture. It's just my resident hare.



I get the feeling that my lawn is especially attractive to the rabbits. The grass has grown long enough to attract geese, and it's fat and juicy. This guy was happy to chew on the dandelions still growing in the yard. I don't poison them, and perhaps the rabbits sense that. Or maybe it's PP's native grasses or the volunteer native plants that are the attraction. Where is Elmer Fudd when you need him?

Lots of tennis this week so far. We've moved back inside until it warms up again, and it seems to suit my game. I like it when the ball is where I swing, and goes back over the net and not wide of the side lines. The indoor permanent time at Wooddale ended today. Tomorrow is near the end at Fort Snelling, but even with a change of venue, we still have several active geezers willing to keep playing. You know what happens when you quit.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Nice lilacs -- a lot of them are past their prime here. Good luck with the pesky rabbits.

"Elmer Fudd." Now that's a reference you don't hear very often.