Sunday, June 28, 2009

Turkeys in the Wild

A Sunday bike ride seemed to be the right idea. I went down the hill, down Victoria and Shephard Road to Crosby Farm. There were quite a few people out, hikers and bikers. As I went around a corner in the forested area, I encountered these wild turkeys, strolling along, acting like they owned the path. I stopped and got a couple of photos. It's the time of year when the new crop of wild animals is beginning to be seen. This is a good sized litter, and I wonder how many will actually survive to adulthood. I have also seen a few baby rabbits in the neighborhood, emerging from their hiding places late in the day, near sunset to eat grass and hostas.



There is also this photo of my transportation standing next to one of the very colorful benches that are located next to the bike path in Crosby Farm. It was a nice coolish morning, but quite windy. I was happy to get to the top of Benhill Street and make it home without any negative incidents.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Tame turkeys. Sounds like a nice bike ride. I like the colorful bench, too. Ride out into the wind.

Nicole said...

I have wild turkeys living in my neighborhood in coastal Connecticut. A few months ago I almost hit one with the car. If I'd actually hit it and wanted to pluck my roadkill, I would have had a free turkey dinner!