Thursday, June 4, 2009

Salad Bowl

With not much else to blog about, I decided to focus on the salads that I'll be having from my backyard vegetables sometime in the next months. That is, if those rascally rabbits don't eat all the produce. There seems to be a plague of rabbits this year in the Saintly City. I have planted two tomato plants - an Early Girl hybrid of normal size fruit and a cherry tomato plant. They have taken to the spot where I placed them - well out of range of PP's native grass garden and in a fairly sunny locale. There are blossoms, but no fruit yet.


And there is lettuce. I planted lettuce seed in two different pots in the backyard, partly to thwart the bunnies, and partly because I could get them into a very sunny spot. These are Grand Rapids lettuce shoots and the other pot (not shown) is Romaine. They are growing quite well and beginning to look delicious. I sense a salad coming on.

The French Open is coming down to its last days in Paris. The women's final contestants were decided today. Two Russians - Safina and Kuznetsova. Serena Williams was the last American to survive the clay courts. She's likely do better at Wimby, on grass, in a couple of weeks. The men's title should go to Roger Federer, but they will likely play out the matches to see what happens. The big Swede, Soderling, who whipped Nadal is still in the running.

No tennis and no biking today for me. I did manage to mow the lawn and rake up the silver maple helicopter seeds that fell from my neighbor's tree over the last few weeks. That's one messy tree variety.

It was a very nice day in southeast Minnesota. Or is it center east Minnesota?

1 comment:

santini said...

Your tomato plants seem to be thriving. Good luck with the bunnies. I hope those marigolds work. I would think that the lettuce would be at least as vulnerable to the rabbits.