Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Longfellow's Flower

It was a nice day - coolish in the morning with a clear blue sky. I walked around the grounds at Minnehaha Park and revisited Minnehaha Falls to see if the volume of water was up from July. There was a nice strong stream of water flowing in Minnehaha Creek and over the falls. I didn't include a photo, because the falls has been shown several times before in this space. Besides, I shot this lively blue flower at Longfellow Gardens, just across Hiawatha Avenue from the park. The bees and butterflies evaded this shutterbug, but the flower is pretty. For the benefit of KS, there is also a significant prairie restoration project in progress there by the creek.


There is also a nice statue of Hiawatha and his princess, Minnehaha, at the park. It's a little off the beaten track, but stands very near the creek. It was erected in 1911, so has stood there 96 years.


So much for Minnehaha Falls. I also checked out the hiking trail around Lake Como to see how the cleanup of the multitude of downed trees was going. I would call the progress exceedingly slow, but work men with a truck and hoist were there and they were removing dried up branches and leaves from ex-oaks and ex-ashes. The guy operating the hoist was working and the other five guys were watching. They'll be done with the cleanup by snow fly, I expect.

Tennis tonight at Marie Park. I played in the lower range of acceptable and my team lost both sets. It was a beautiful night, however, and it was enjoyable just to be out in the weather. The other guys appreciated the wins and didn't indulge in cheap taunting. Not a bad outing, all in all.

The U.S. Open continues. I watched a couple of sets of Nadal winning his opening match against an Aussie qualifier who was ranked about 125 in the world. Nadal is number two. Nadal also seems to be having knee problems. He probably plays too much tennis, and from today's action I'm pretty sure that he won't make it to the finals this year. That's just a guess, of course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL flower. It would match all my outfits (she said, shallowly).
I have always loved that statue which I first noticed (and admired) at some mother's day picnic or perhaps during a teenage excursion to the falls. Minnehaha Park evokes so many wonderful memories for this city kid. Thanks for the photos.
BB

Anonymous said...

Yes, that Hiawatha was quite a romantic. And Minnehaha was a hottie. I like the falls area quite a bit, too. TT

Anonymous said...

That's one pretty morning glory, I think. I love the deep purple. Urban parks seem pretty necessary to me. It does seem like the Como clean up is taking too long. Around here the tree clean up is usually pretty quick. We've had a couple of ash crash, so have had a little practice with this. Oh, and a big old cherry tree. Comes with living in the woods, I guess.

It sounds like a nice day of tennis, even without being at the top of your game. Sometimes it is good to just enjoy being out there.
SS