Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tempus fugit

It was 34 degrees for a while this afternoon. That doesn't translate into much melting, but it means that it was a pretty pleasant day. The sun was absent, hiding behind a bank of clouds, but it's starting to warm up a bit at a time.

I played two very entertaining sets of tennis at Wooddale this morning. Jerry and I won both sets, but they were competitive, 7-5, 7-5. There were a few shots that should have been winners for us, but were returned for winners against us because of miraculous reflexes on the part of our friends and opponents. My team's average age was 64, opponent's 60.5 and we managed to forget our decrepitude and played like youngsters for a while. In the middle of the second set, when Pat and Bob were mounting a serious comeback attempt, Jerry told me, "I think they're trying to beat us." And I guess they were.

An image from the slides I've been scanning. This was taken in 1985 in the state just east of Lake Michigan. It features a couple of frequent subjects of my camera's lens, folks now sometimes known as Wireless and the Prairie Princess. It must have been a warm summer day.


I neglected to post on my dad's 102nd birthday on the 26th. I'm making up for the omission by including this photo from 1943. The crying Charlie is me. My brother, Tommy, is pretty sedate, and I don't remember the dog at all.  I wonder if his name was Tag.  I don't recognize the setting, but it most assuredly was somewhere in northern Wisconsin.  [Late edit: Back of photo says, "May 1943.  This is how Jim looks when he makes a face. The dog belongs to a neighbor."  Dog is probably not named Tag.]


Tempus fugit.

Aussie Kim won the lady's championship of the Australian Tennis tournament over night last night.  Clijsters beat Li Na from China 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.  And the Bryan Twin Brothers, Bob and Mike, from the USA won their fifth doubles title there 6-3, 6-4.  They're the same guys that played an exhibition match in Minnesota last month at Fort Snelling tennis center.  I was privileged to see them play that day.

3 comments:

Santini said...

That sounds like fun tennis. Good job.

The girls looked very sweet. And not unhappy about the lack of water in the pool. I think that bubble blowing may have been involved.

not lleyton said...

I believe the lady is Belgian.

Jimi said...

Hey, not lleyton: She is Belgian. But they call her Aussie Kim down under because of her former relationship with your not namesake. See Wiki article.