Monday, January 17, 2011

Ducks on the pond

After a couple of inch snowfall over night, and a subsequent rise in temperature, it seemed like a good afternoon to see how the Bruce Vento Nature Sanctuary was doing.  PP had done some native restoration work there last summer and she wasn't otherwise occupied, so we went together. It was about 26 degrees when we arrived.

There hadn't been much activity there.  The snow is pretty deep and there hasn't been a need to plow the paths.  We walked along the creek, which is spring fed and thus running ice free towards Carver's Cave.  There were some hawks in the air in the distance and small birds in the brush as we passed.   When we reached Carver's Cave we came upon a large number of mallard ducks.  The open water seems to be a magnet for them and it looks like they are being fed corn mash by some unknown feeder.  They came out to greet us as though they expected a feast.  We were empty handed.  Usually these birds are migratory and go south for the cold months, but these individuals opted for staying put.  Another meaning for the term "snow bird."



It was a warmish afternoon walk and nice to get outside on one of the last "nice" days before a predicted cold snap smacks us tomorrow morning. I guess then I'll work on finishing the slide scanning project that I put on the back burner for Christmas. I scanned a few last night from 1984 and I'm getting some enthusiasm for the project again. I scanned the photo below last night. For infrequent readers, the subjects are Wireless and her cousin, the Prairie Princess at age a little over one.


Pretty cute, if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Santini said...

26 is pretty mild for you guys. "Snow birds" is kinda funny.

Emily M said...

I think Kelsey's got my doll there. That looks an awful lot like Polly.

We were cute, weren't we?