Sunday, January 9, 2011

Outdoor Wood Sculpture in St Paul

It's cold here, but outdoor walkabouts are still entertaining. This morning I decided to find some of the neighborhood wood sculptures and see how they're doing in the snow. The first and third are former elm trees, turned to sculpture by private citizens. They stand where the elm used to stand. I'm not so sure of the origin of the middle sculpture. It took me about 45 minutes in about nine degree weather to make the circuit.

This statue of Lady Liberty stands on Fairmount, not far from Dale Street, the snow piled up around its base.


The man and boy sculpture sits on the north side of Grand Avenue, near Dale Street.


The statue of a pioneer woman stands across the street from the Governor's mansion. The purple sweater is a nice touch on a cold day like today.


The USTA tennis report is the same sad story. Jerry's team, the one I'm on, played tonight at Fort Snelling's Fred Wells Tennis Center. I was able to maintain my losing streak, again losing in three sets, 4-6, 7-5, 0-1. The third set in this league is always a ten point tie breaker, so that we can fit a match into two hours. The team as a whole lost this time and our league record fell to 3-2.

Again, as I have said before, it's just nice to be able to get on the court and compete with these other tennis players. I'll win again sometime, I hope, but it's not the whole goal of the process.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

I'm impressed with you for getting outside in single digit temps for that long. The photos are deceiving -- it looks like a really nice day, with sunshine and plenty of blue sky.

One of the benefits of keeping stats is that you can look back at them and bask in the reflected glory. "Ah, the year I rode 490 miles in January," for example (2002).

I enjoyed the photos.