Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Walking around the lake again

A day to rest my weary old bones. I have been playing quite a bit of tennis while Rich is in town, playing both doubles and some singles sets with him. We've had some good competition, and it has been fun, but it was good to have a day off. I relaxed by walking around Lake Como, looking for photo opportunities and enjoying a pretty decent afternoon. It was cloudy, but didn't rain and the temp stayed at around 70 degrees. It's the first day of autumn in the northern hemisphere and it's starting to look like it. The migrating birds seem to be gathering and building their strength for a flight to warmer climes. It will be good to be rid of the overpopulation of geese, but the ducks seem a bit more acceptable. I surprised these guys taking their ease near the shore of Lake Como. They weren't at all afraid of me.



As I walked around the lake, it was mostly peaceful except for the high school cross country team - boys and girls. They were galloping around the lake training for the season, which I assume is pretty much under way. They ran in groups and seemed really intent on producing a good time around the lake. I think they were St Paul Central runners, but I can't be sure. I encountered the coaches near the pavilion and they were writing down times for the runners as they finished, so it was a serious session. There was a lot of yelling and encouraging remarks, too, on a nice day to run.

A teeshirt I saw on my walk, "My drinking team has a hockey problem."

More tennis tomorrow.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Rest days are good. Even necessary now and then. I don't think October will be anywhere near as kind as September has been, sadly. Not impossible...

I like the photo of the ducks. It does look a little dreary out.