Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The End of Minnehaha Creek

Some days require a long walk. I had a couple of days off from the tennis wars and I was ready to smack a few forehands, but it was only about 55 degrees at its warmest today. I went to visit the falls across the river. As Mr Moohoo has noticed lately, the falls are dry. There is no water going over them. It's part of a repair program for the stream's banks downstream from the falls, and it's necessary, but it's a strange sight to see the falls sans agua. [Notice I used both French and Spanish at the end of an English sentence.] I decided to walk the stream to its mouth at the Mississippi River again and see how the stream was doing. It's pretty dry, too. There is a foot bridge at the end of the creek where it empties into the big river and it is pictured below. There is really no need for the bridge at the moment. It is sans agua. Or nearly so.



The weather has signaled the arrival of a new season. There are freeze warnings out tonight and the burbs are likely to lose all uncovered tomato plants. The city appears safe from this one. The weather creatures are predicting 38 degrees in the city. My tomatoes are safe for a while yet. UH and I have picked all the red leaning fruit and I'm starting to think about a couple of lunches of fried green tomatoes, a la the old man.

Curt's going away to Arkansas breakfast is tomorrow, and the GTA will be down one member player for a few months. Comings and goings happen pretty often this time of year. We'll get by with the hard core guys who stay the winter.

1 comment:

santini said...

I'm partial to photos of bridges -- that's a nice one. Sans agua or avec agua, either way.

'Hard core' geezer squad member occasionally visit warmer climes, I believe.