Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Split Timber One

I was up early enough to smack some tennis balls this morning at the new St Clair Avenue courts. I'm trying to be sure that my conditioning is good enough for a trip to Tucson. It was a beautiful September day (can it really be September already?). I guess I'll be ready for whatever happens. Curt and I hit for about an hour, mostly groundies and serves, then I came home for lunch. Three bean salad and tuna salad on 9-grain bread. Yum.

There is a surge of activity by Jerry's team to find the best hotel and airline prices for the unexpected expense of a trip to the mixed dubbs nationals. My GTA tennis buddy, Dr Bill, informs me that his trip to the nationals last year cost about a grand. Part of the reason is that there is an tourney entry fee, and there is a sponsoring hotel, which may or may not be offering "deals". There are, however, some pretty good prices for air tickets to Phoenix via Sun Country.

There is a fake water falls at Como Lake near the Black Bear Cafe. I was over at the park taking a circumnavigation of the lake and saw a photographer in action by the fake falls. It's an interesting location with action. I took the picture.



The US Open is still in action in New York. Andy Roddick and Venus have advanced to the second round. So did Roger Federer and Serena Williams. The upsets, if there are any, will come later.

"You lie, August. Split timber all over, no wonder, distemper." - Anon(?)

2 comments:

santini said...

There must be something for the first six months, but I don't recall ever having heard it.

Nice photo from Como -- the photographer must have had something in his sights that wasn't obvious from your photo. His assistants seemed to be blocking the view.

Tennis Tousan said...

Santini - The one on the left is the subject and the assistant is holding a white screen to focus light on the subject's face. I should have got a better angle on the scene, but it's the best I had. I'll try to do better. TT