Thursday, September 3, 2009

Spam Hot Dog

It was a no tennis day, but I spent most of the day on my feet. In the morning I visited Pike Island. It's a favorite spot for a long hike in forest conditions, and I'm almost always able to see some wildlife. I stopped along the way to check out the fort's vegetable gardens. They planted many of the same crops that would have been grown here by the soldiers when they were here in the early 1800's corn, squash, beans and sunflowers (I guess). The garden had several giant sunny's and this one was being visited by a bee when I took the picture. The corn is ready to harvest and the beans seem to be long done. The squash have a while to go yet.



I walked the three or so miles around the island. I encountered a large family of wild turkeys, maybe the same ones I saw in the spring. They weren't scared, but not sociable either. As I finished the walk, I stopped on the bridge that separates Pike Island from the mainland and took the next picture of the Mendota Bridge reflected on the river.



When I got home PP was finishing lunch - she had the day off. She suggested a trip to the Minnesota State Fair. We caught the free shuttle and got to the fair in mid afternoon. It was seniors' day, so my ticket was just six bucks, and the place was loaded with Minnesota's geezers. We mostly just took in the fine arts displays in the Fine Arts building and, of course, took in some calories "on a stick." PP had a spam hot dog, which wasn't half bad. I stuck to fresh squeezed lemonade and egg rolls. It was a nice day to stroll around the fairgrounds.

1 comment:

santini said...

Fresh lemonade and egg rolls sounds a lot better than a Spam hot dog, to me.

Nice photo of the sunflower/bee.

Enjoy these last few weeks of summer/first few weeks of fall.