Thursday, September 17, 2009

Tennis, tennis, tennis

An old tennis buddy is in town. Rich played on the same college tennis team as I did back in the early 60's, and now we are both in our mid 60's. He and I have been playing singles against each other off and on ever since then. He now lives in Tucson, very near the place where the USTA National Tournament for 8.0 mixed doubles teams will be played in November. My team of hardcore ladies and gents will be competing there and I'll get a chance to visit Rich's home and his home club, too. Rich and I repeated our usual practice of playing a couple of sets of tennis today. It was a nice warm September day in the upper 70's. There was friendly competition and no one got hurt - a successful outing. PP took this photo in MBY (my back yard) this morning before the tennis took place. When I asked Rich if he would pose for a photo, he agreed, and then went to his car and changed into more attractive clothing, I guess because he now knows that a photo like this one might show up on the internet. And so it has.



This evening, after an afternoon nap, I managed another three sets at Wooddale, this time with the hardcore girls and Jerry - core members of the mixed doubles team. We had good competitive tennis, splitting the first two sets. It was good preparation for the coming travails in Arizona. Then, when we quit, I went to Yang's Chinese Restaurant and got lo mein and an egg roll to bring home to share with PP. Because she's the prairie princess.

5 comments:

Retired Professor said...

If that's not fun, I don't know what is.

Sounds like a pretty good day.

santini said...

I can't quite read what's on the trophy/glass item in Rich's hand. Endless season? The Miller Cup? Is there a story there?

Tennis664 said...

The story behind the "Endless Season" trophy should be told!

TTousan said...

Santini: Yes, a story. We jointly bought a trophy about ten years ago and had it enscribed. It goes to the winner of the last match between the two of us. It is currently in Rich's possession so I don't know exactly what it says, but it's something like "Endless season, Miller-Stebbins Series, Current Champ." Since Rich lives in Tucson, the trophy doesn't change hands very often. I'm letting him hang on to it a few days to savor its classic beauty(!). TT

Santini said...

Nice story. Bloggable, even.