Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Walking by the Creek

The spring season is reluctant to come, but the sun is strong and seems to be insisting. There has been new snow, and new snow makes the environment fresh and new, while still retaining the shapes of winter. I went walking by Minnehaha Falls, a favorite spot in all seasons. The falls are still mostly ice, but the water is flowing freely under and around the ice, and the scene is changing. The stairs to the lower level to the falls are still chained, a warning that they are closed, but they are often used, but never shoveled. It is an adventure to get to the lower levels, but the rewards are views of the creek as it shakes off the ice of winter.  I half skied down the stairs, hanging onto the rail as I descended.

One of the many bridges over the creek at the lower level shows the emerging creek and the bareness of the yet to emerge vegetation.


Minnehaha Falls is still icy. The winter's shape is changing, but the form built up over four months of winter remains. Off to the right of the falls is a field of very blue ice. It's attractive, but probably a dangerous place to tread. There is, however a well worn path to the ice field and behind it too. I guess I didn't get that in the photo.  And I avoided the temptation to get much closer.


Another, closer shot of the hanging ice field. It's been there for months, but is destined to fall in the next few weeks.


I include another photo of benches to continue my series of benches and to show the depth of the snow. These will be bare again in a few weeks as the strength of the spring sun grows.


Minnehaha Creek is flowing and there are islands of ice and snow in the stream. These, too, are temporary.

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

It still looks a lot like winter to me. Maybe you had to be there. Water in a non frozen state is a good sign, though.

Gino said...

Really interesting ice photos.

Emily M said...

Those are great photos of the falls and creek. I wish the ice was gone, but it certainly is cool looking at the moment. Thanks for sharing!

BDE said...

I agree with Wireless--really cool pictures of the falls.