Monday, March 14, 2011

Pi is about 3.14159265

Today, March 14 is Pi Day and also Albert Einstein's 132nd birthday. The other Albert Einstein, Albert Brooks, was born July 22, 1947. There are those who make pie on Pi Day, some who throw cream pies at each other, and others, like me, who go walking looking for a circular object to somehow represent the fact that the diameter of that circle is 1/3.14159... of the length of the circumference. John Elioff verified that to me in algebra class in about 1958, and it's still true.  It's nice to know that there is some constant in the universe.

My search for a circular object was random and fruitless, unless you consider the fact that I ended up at Raspberry Island, a rather fruit-like named location.  And raspberries make pretty good pies.  I took a picture from the stairs on the Wabasha bridge so that I'd have a photo to blog with.  This island is likely to be mostly under water by the time April is done.


The Prairie Princess helped plant some sedges there last summer that were washed away in the fall flood that struck last year.  The trees that stand on the island are likely flood tolerant, because they seem to have survived the flood and look healthy.

I thought about buying a pie from Baker's Square to celebrate Pi Day, but decided that I'd be better off bypassing the extra carbs and walking an extra mile or so.  So that's what I did.  Happy Pi Day.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Nice post -- lovely photo. Too much snow, but Spring is closing in.

Your string of Pi reminds me that in the year 2015, Pi day will occur on 3.14.15, and in 2016 it will be on 3.14.16 -- the number I always used for Pi.

Do Europeans celebrate Pi(e) day on July 22? 22/7?