Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Springing

The spring has been pretty slow to take charge here in the tundra. Today was reasonably warm and the sun was shining. The Prairie Princess was finished with her job interviews for the day, so we went to find an interesting place to walk. I like to keep track of the ice melt at Minnehaha Falls, so we went there to see how it was progressing.

We parked by a huge snow pile. It's still there from the winter's plowing activity and may last another month. Down by the creek we found a place to demonstrate the "spring" in Minnesota. The princess jumped and I took the photo - my best spring picture thus far, although spring has been ridiculously reticent.


The falls in Minnehaha Creek are still sporting a fringe of icicles, but the water is high and roaring over the falls. There is still a lot of snow to melt, too, so the falls will be impressive for several more weeks.


I found a bench in a field of snow close to the creek, but downstream from the falls. The creek at that point is in a valley and the heat of the sun almost never reaches here. The air has to be warm enough to melt the snow before it will seep to the river. So far this spring, it hasn't been that warm. PP snapped the photo - another bench shot for the archives.


The Twins home opener is scheduled for April 8 against Oakland. That's just 10 days away.

I played some tennis yesterday at Fort Snelling and will again tomorrow at the same venue. I'm hoping that the outdoor season starts soon, but my optimism is guarded at best.

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

That's a cool shot of the Prairie Princess. As an added bonus, there are two benches in the background.

I sure am glad I live this far south. Sheesh. Dad used to talk about snow on the fourth of July -- it is beginning to look like that could happen again this year.

Jimi said...

The princess is always good for an action shot. She adds some spice to this sometimes ho-hum blog.

It has been one of the longest winters that I can remember, but I'm hoping that it will be over before July. There is hope.

BDE said...

The P-ster looks really cute and athletic. I assume she jumped from the ledge behind her. Otherwise, she should take up basketball!