Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sabino Canyon

I played another four sets of tennis doubles with Rich and some of his cohorts this morning at the Tucson Country Club. It was my fourth venue for tennis in my four days here. So far my won-loss record is mediocre, but I've met some nice people on the courts, and I'm getting acclimated to the climate and the playing conditions.

Rich took me for an afternoon trek through Sabino Canyon, a few miles from here. We walked about two miles up into the canyon, then two miles back and I took some photos on the way for the blog. It's quite a beautiful natural area.


The hike begins uphill towards the mountains and there are ample warnings about the animal dangers in the canyon. We didn't see any mountain lions, but there are cacti everywhere.


This shot is at one of the WPA bridges that cross the creek that winds through the canyon. The creek was mostly a dry creek bed. There are trees and more mountain vegetation as we went up the mountain, and saguaro cactus plants are mixed in.




This gives an idea of the prevalence of the cacti all the way to the top of the nearby peaks. This is the foothills, and the mountains go much higher than this, It was a beautiful cloud free day and the temperature was in in upper sixties. A very nice day.



Arizona is a pleasant place to spend some leisure moments as I wait for the tournament to commence.


2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Beautiful part of the country!

Retired Professor said...

BTW -- Gino's weather bug on his blog said 26 degrees at 6:15 local time this morning. I thought you'd want to know. Watch out for those mountain lions.