Saturday, November 14, 2009

Finding Arizona

After solving a photo download problem I can continue recording this adventure in the Southwest.

I managed to find the Randolph Park Tennis complex with the help of my host. He knows the city pretty well, and also where most of the tennis courts are. At these courts next week there will be 3 mixed doubles national tournaments, pretty much in unison - the 8.0 leagues, the 6.0 leagues, and the 2.5 leagues. The 8.0's where I'll be participating are composed of three doubles duos, wherein the ratings of the players adds up to 8.0 - quite often two 4.0 players like me, TTT. The courts are ready and seem to be quite playable. There are 25 of them in a mile square park containing several other athletic facilities.

I think I may be one of the first to arrive. I played on one of the courts, number 24, this afternoon on a windy day. There were even some raindrops falling on my head, a rarity here.



I've played at two other tennis facilities in my three days here. One was a dude ranch - Tanque Verde - with nice courts and the smell of horse offal in the air. The other was a country club with a swimming pool near the courts that makes most of its profits by catering wedding receptions. The courts were adequate.

The sunsets from Rich's house are quite lovely. See below, from last night.


2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Ah, tennis news. It seems like having played on the courts should help you to feel settled during the tournament. Same deal with getting acclimated to the climate and the time change. All good, I think.

That's a very nice sunset.

We're still enjoying Indian Summer like weather here, with a high of 61 yesterday. Not quite shorts weather, though.

Retired Professor said...

There's an R in Arizona, for your title, TTT. :-)