Sunday, November 1, 2009

Double Doors

With a theme day titled "doors," you might expect at least a few photos of Jim Morrison, at least from bloggers of a certain age. I passed up the obvious and am posting the doors to The Fred Wells Tennis Center. It's a place that I use twice a week and so I pass through these doors at least four times a week. Today was no exception. We played at 2:30 and that meant missing most of the first half of the highly hyped football game of the local pro gridders flailing away at the Packers in Green Bay. The local boys managed to beat the cheesehead favorites and everyone in Minnesota seemed happier for at least a little while. Today's tennis sets at Fred Wells went well, too. The doors appear to be propped open by a pumpkin, perhaps a nod to the recently completed candy wolfing holiday.



PP went to a Halloween party last night and I'm including a photo of her costume. She went as a pirate, complete with a parrot and a sword. [Not a real sword or even a real parrot.] She managed to survive the party and is safe again from the demons of Halloween. I guess she learned a little about her coworkers and the evil firewater.


November is here. And immediately it warmed into the fifties. I feel somewhat encouraged.

8 comments:

Retired Professor said...

That whole 'Doors' thing did not even occur to me. Good one. Appropriate photo, too.

I rarely watch football, but we watched the second half of the Vikings game -- those Packers played some good football in the second half, I must say. Not quite good enough, though. I imagine that there will soon be people in MN wearing tee-shirts with "I 'heart' Bret Favre" on them. Still setting records at 40. Fortunately, they keep track of lots of stuff about him, and yesterday's record seemed a little obscure. A record for QB's that have thrown 4 TD passes in one game?

Jimi said...

The statistics rule holds. The more statistics you keep, the more you can mine them for new and obscure records. No more true of football than baseball - a product of the computer age perhaps where a good software search will yield seemingly unrelated gems. TT

Retired Professor said...

What statistics rule is that? I remember a book written by someone titled something like, Lies, More Lies and Statistics. It always annoys me when people use numbers to lie. But it isn't illegal, apparently.

Retired Professor said...

Wikipedia attributes "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" to Benjamin Desraeli -- I should have Googled before I commented.

Tennis Tousan said...

The veracity of the statistics varies by the collector of the numbers. Once the numbers are proved true, one can move on to the lying, the most entertaining part anyhow. TT

Gino said...

In my view the problem with the sports statistics obsession is that the statistics produce only correlation, if that. The sports commentators take correlation and try to convince us that it is causation.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say this, but I think that 4 TD passes in one game is pretty damn good! As far as statistics go, I am often annoyed by teachers who ignore good research, saying "research can prove anything--statistics lie."
BDE

7.

Retired Professor said...

Statistics don't lie, people lie. And often MIS-use statistics to do it.