Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tousan to Tucson

Sometimes there is some tennis news to pass on. The sectional tournament for mixed doubles finished this afternoon at about 6 p.m. In the end our little team of ragamuffins managed to go undefeated and qualified for the national tournament in Tucson, the week before Thanksgiving. I want to make it clear that I was just a small part of the tournament. I played in just one of the five matches over three days, and although I managed to be on the winning team in that match, most of the credit goes to the top six players, including my mixed doubles partners on winter Thursday evenings - the hard core girls - and three strong 4.0 men. I'm proud of their play and their ability to last through the tough matches. The last match against the other section winner went 2-1 to us, but was decided in a third set tie breaker 10-8. A close score, but enough to send us on a tennis vacation in November in a warm climate. The team "Stahnke 8.0 summer" won't get mentioned on the 10 o'clock news, but there will be mention and a photo in the USTA northern section magazine later this fall.

I didn't have my camera along for a team picture, but I came home and had PP take this picture of me in my new black shirt, the prize for winning the section. The tags are still on the shirt. I'll pass along a team picture if I gain access to the one they took at Ridder Arena.



We went to India House and ate some flavorful Indian food as a celebration.

4 comments:

santini said...

Woo Hoo! Go team! Not a bad way to spend the weekend.

Gino said...

Pretty darn cool.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Good luck at Nationals.

John Cavanaugh

Emily M said...

Congrats! Best of luck at Nationals!