Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Birds doing bird things

It was a hot day, but I hadn't been to Lake Como since my trip to the much larger, less algae and weed infested lake by the dunes, so I braved the construction zone driving impediments, drove to the park and took a walk this morning. It was not yet steaming hot and there were people walking about and a lot of birds hanging around in the water. I tried to sneak up on this egret, but he spooked just as I snapped the shot and I got his take-off. There were other folks watching him and they exclaimed about the bird's wing span and the great opportunities there are to see a variety of bird life now that the shore has been returned to a more natural state.


The water of the lake is filled with green algae, a result, no doubt, of runoff from lawn fertilizer from the homes in the area. These ducks didn't seem to mind the algae, maybe even enjoyed it, but the green color gives the scene an almost other world look. There were lots more ducks on the lake and a variety of varieties.


And as I was almost all the way around the lake I encountered this egret - perhaps a snowy egret. They spook pretty easily when danger presents itself, so I was lucky to get as close as I did. The bird seemed secure and stayed around for several shots. It was a pretty good bird day at the big park.


And tennis broke out somewhat later at Marie Park. It was 90 degrees when I got there at 4 p.m., but our foursome of older gentlemen was determined to play. It was four retired guys playing tennis on a day that was too hot to play and a day when the air quality was not up to snuff either. But we played two sets, not bad tennis, but tennis that was going down hill towards the end of the second set. No one suggested that we play a third set, but we will all be back on Saturday for more. The sets were ok, 6-3, 6-2, and there was much profuse sweating and hydrating by the geezers. We finished about 5:40 and the temperature had slid back to 88. I came home, had an O'Doul's and showered up. I guess that I still love this game.

There is also a big golf tournament in town this week - the PGA Championship. The Tiger is in the contest, but I don't think I'm likely to get any pictures of him. It's too hot for watching golf.

1 comment:

santini said...

Some pretty nice bird shots -- I really like the first one. Not just the wing span, and catching the bird just as it is about to take flight, but the reflection of the bird in the water. Cool.

Nasty algae. I guess that's why they call it the dog days of summer.