Monday, September 1, 2008

Republican Convention Protest Day

Labor Day dawned bright and sunny. It would eventually get to 90 degrees. PP decided to join some friends down at the Capitol where a protest march against the concept of war was scheduled to take place a little after noon. She rode Herb's second string bike to the Capitol grounds and I followed somewhat later in a park and hike strategy to see how this protest would compare to the ones I'd seen in the 60's. I parked near Marshall and Western and spent the next four hours wandering in the downtown of St Paul. The first photo shows the crowd beginning to amass near the Capitol.
The crowd was mainly serious and peaceable, although I learn tonight that there were over 50 arrests of overexuberant and not so peaceable protesters.

Someone brought an ice sculpture of the word democracy to the rally. It didn't last too long in the sun and heat, but it was attractive as it melted and dripped. It was located on the Capitol Mall on its grassy expanse.


As you might expect, the police were out in force. I walked along the march route much in advance of the marchers. A significant number of the gendarmes were mounted on mountain bikes and rode around in packs to address whatever issues came up.



There were also some mounted police. These guys were equipped with body protection and were wearing gas masks. It was 90 degrees, so I'd guess that they were quite hot and uncomfortable. They were riding some very attractive looking horseflesh.

The Xcel Center, where the Convention began today, is very well insulated from outside influence. It's a version of a gated community were the fences are ten feet high and protected by a large number of security officers. To get within these areas, it was necessary to have credentials. I saw Norm Coleman exit the zone, and I'm fairly sure that our U.S. Senator has the proper credentials. I also saw Minneapolis mayor R.T Rybak, but he's a Democrat and seemed to be checking on the performance of the Minneapolis cops who had been loaned to the Saintly City for the week.


And as I left, after walking a long way around the zone, I ran into some protesters near the History Center. I don't think that they are Democrats, and they don't seem to be Republicans either. I like to think that they are merely Loonies. One of the women in the group was yelling some slogans that seemed not to make much sense. Notice that the cops are all geared up and ready for action. Those outfits look very uncomfortable.


There are several more days of this convention. Maybe I'll run into Katie Couric on the street sometime before it's all over. I'll get a picture.

Both PP and I got home safely and ate dinner together before her return to Glyndon. Herb is still in Seattle at a Shinnyo-en Buddhist get together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Politics as performance art? Lots of biker cops in that photo. An interesting day in the hot September sun, from the sounds of it.