Monday, February 4, 2008

Spring Hill

This being a tennis blog, it is satisfying to once in a while report some tennis activity. I spent a couple of days in Spring Hill, visiting my high school tennis coach and playing some tennis. Paul lined up some good players and we played both mornings on a great clay court in Bob's orange orchard in his back yard. The players on Sunday appear in the photo - Lyle, Dan, Paul, and me. For a change, I was the youngest player on the court, but with Paul, the oldest, as my partner, the ages averaged out about even. The match went to two and a half hours and could have gone either way, but we got a late service break and held on to win, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. As Paul said, it's great to be able to play at this stage in life, but no matter what, it's always a little sweeter to win. It was a great group and I look forward to some more tennis ball snacking down the road sometime.



The Saturday tennis was also two hours plus and tested our ability to keep hitting winners. Many of the shots that I thought were winners came back across the net, needing further punctuation. That match, too, with two other opponents, was fun and quite competitive.

Paul was a great host and I got to tour the retirement village and tried out a few of the amenities. The billiard hall caught my attention and we spent an hour or so trying to sink some of those round pool balls. A good use of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like a good time was had by everyone. It is always more fun to win, too. SS