Friday, December 7, 2007

Pearl Harbor Day

It was a clear cold day. I had a plumbing problem to deal with, so I didn't get an early start on the pursuit of full spectrum solar radiation. It was probably a good idea to start later in the day. By the time I found this large pile of snow in a parking lot somewhere north of here, the temperature had rallied to 12 degrees. The sky was a pretty blue and the wind calm. My outside exercise didn't last very long, but it was easy to find the light. It is now about six above zero. I guess we are going below zero on the thermometer overnight tonight. I'll probably be inside for most of that time.


The day has shortened to 8 hours and 54 minutes at this latitude and we are 18 days from Christmas.

There was tennis last night. One of the hardcore girls, Barb, was ill so we had a sub. The scores were 6-4, 7-6, so the tennis was still competitive. I had to do a lot of running, but I think that that is one of the goals of this particular pastime. There has been a lot of conversation about USTA tennis rankings, mostly because Jerry and Becky were both promoted to level 4.0. It was expected because they went undefeated and went to the nationals, but it means that they will have to play on a different team in a higher league next year. There was some gnashing of teeth.

Nagasaki became St Paul's sister city on this date in 1956, 15 years after the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Japanese Garden at Como came about because of the sister city relationship. It has now been 66 years since Pearl Harbor and our relationship with Japan is so good that my sweet daughter has spent the last 26 months there. Times have changed for the better, at least in some ways.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a frozen expanse of water behind that pile of snow. It all looks very cold. Does this mean you won't be playing against Hardcore Becky and Jerry next year? Bummer.

Anonymous said...

I'll still be able to play against Jerry and Becky. Our Thursday tennis matches are not sanctioned by USTA. We're on our own. Their rating rise gets them to 4.0, which is my current ranking. They'll be able to play on my 8.0 team now.

That is a frozen expanse of water, as you suspect. There were men with fishing tackle on that expanse as I walked in the area. I didn't get a photo, however. The "walking on water" season has begun. TT

Anonymous said...

Ice fishing, already?