Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

The snow event has passed and the city plowed the streets over night. The day was beautiful, all crystal blue sky and crisp, clean air. I spent some of my day walking, some on Summit Avenue, some on Grand. This wooden sculpture was once an elm tree before infected with the dreaded Dutch elm disease. It has existed as a sculpture for several years. In the winter, when it is cold and snowy, the figure gets a shawl for warmth. The sculpture stands almost directly across the street from the governor's mansion. I think I've used the figure on the blog for decoration on sunny, summer days. This is the cold side of being outside all year.



I have been thinking about George Miller lately. The George Miller who was known as Grossfather. He was born in France, he claimed (the Alsace-Lorraine) in 1823 and came to America via Havre in 1828 when he was 5 years old. He came on the ship "Parachute" with Jean Miller, Jacon Miller, and two Marie's - Marie Elis and Marie Roni - who may have been his sisters. I've been wondering if I may be able to track down some more information about the family in whatever French censuses there were in those years. With four names of a family group I might be able to find them, especially if my French were good enough. The internet has a lot more information now than it had when I first discovered these facts (I think Santini found the passenger list that included these French souls.) I'm still intrigued by Grossfather and his story. Not many men desert their families for 28 years and are still taken in by their sons when they reappear in their dotage. He was a crazy man or a cur, but I'd like to know more of his story, now lost to history. I may have to resume my quest on the old boy.

Anyhow, it's Christmas Eve and Santa will be looking for his cookies and milk, so I'd better get cracking. There are things too do and "miles to go before I sleep."

Merry Christmas to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty day and a nice walk. The elm sculpture looks different in its winter cloak, but still interesting.

It would be interesting to see if there is more information about Grossfather and his family in French records. A couple of world wars on that soil may have made that hard, but you don't know until you try.

If the cookie story triggered some nice memories, then I consider that a bonus. I've made cookies from scratch with the grandkids at Christmas the last two years -- they consider it almost miraculous. And it is a fun, if messy, task.

Wishing your household a very Merry Christmas. ~ Sylvi

GPT said...

Go for it bro. I too have an interest in the Grossfodder and what he may or may not have been. A 28 year gap is a question that needs investigating as well. But where to start?

Tommi