Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Murky

Tuesday and the air quality is bad again. The atmosphere is trapping the combustion products and forcing us to breathe it if we are out and about. There is plenty of those small particles floating around.

Last night's tennis was the closest set in many a week. It went to a tie-breaker which finished at 12-10. We ran out of time for a second set. There were some controversial calls and a little jawing back in forth between a couple of us, but we got over it as soon as the set was over. These guys are nearly as competitive as I am, but we all, thankfully, are blessed with short memories. We sat and chatted for a while before we left the club. The Vikings game was in progress, so we had things to complain about. In the end the Purple won the game, beating "da Bears" 20-13. It was an ugly game.

I ran into my old Hamline tennis coach pretty randomly today at the dentist. He was only the coach one year, my senior year, but he was a nice guy, and his wife was the real estate agent when I bought this house 32 years ago. She was there today, too, and remarked that she was glad that she hadn't counted on real estate deals from me to keep her career on track. They are retired and living in Edina and Arizona depending on the season.

Today was 8 hours 46 minutes and 25 seconds, just 29 seconds longer than the shortest day, the solstice. I can hold my breath for 29 seconds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your tennis coaches all seem to have done pretty well for themselves. Edina and Arizona are nice places to live.

I don't remember bad air quality being an issue in the winter before. I thought it was a summer time problem. SS

Anonymous said...

My mom said that Tuesday's sunrise was particularly beautiful. Could this be related to bad air quality?!
BB