Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Two more days before the end

The Prairie Princess was due home on a Sun Country plane from Oslo scheduled for about 11 p.m. tonight. As is usual as these December trips go, weather and perhaps travel traffic in the New York City area caused some delay. At the moment, the expected arrival time is 12:43 a.m on the 20th. Unky Herb and I are killing time at home waiting for updates. There is a big snow storm in Iowa that is burying that state, but we are now likely to be spared most of the accumulation. Or so saith the weather soothsayers. We'll be going to the airport soon.

Here's a photo from the last time I saw her in person. It was taken last December in Aas, Norway.

The solstice strikes at 5:11 a.m. local time here in the saintly city. There has been a prediction of doomsday on that day, and if so this may be my final blog. If that's how the world ends. But I was led to believe that it would end, not with a bang, but a whimper. Or so T.S Eliot wrote. And even NASA has pooh-poohed the end of world theory, so I expect there will be other blogs yet this year, and I'll get a few more opportunities to expound on π and its relationship with whatever is going on around me. 

We may be domed.

My mom was born on the 21st of December, 99 years ago, possibly a solstice baby.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I would like a picture to prove she's home, please.

Emily M said...

I assume she has arrived safely at this point, despite today's snow?