Monday, February 27, 2012

Spring training

We went to Fort Meyers for Twins spring training this morning. I wanted to see if the ailing Twins stars were on the field, and also to pick up tickets for the first Grapefruit League game for the Twins which were at the will-call window. It was a nice morning and there were other snow bird types hanging around watching the boys of summer get ready for the season. In past years I've watched the Rays spring training in Port Charlotte, but watching the Twins, even after a disastrous 2011 season, was a lot more fun. I saw players who I recognized and got to watch their preparations for the season. I think I knew about 15-20 of the guys on the field, some even without looking at their numbers.

As an aside, when I showed this photo to the resident bike geek, she noticed at once the nice bike in the lower left hand corner.  I, for one, don't recognize the brand, but maybe some of my readers are familiar with it.

Justin Morneau was there for infield and batting practice.  He was hitting line shots to the outfield and some out of the park.


Joe Mauer's in this photo, standing by the batting cage without a number.  He was looking pretty sharp, too.  The staff was also working him out at first base..


Ball park prices were posted by the concession stand.  The usual practice of jacking up the prices for the faithful fans is still in effect.   You can, however, get chips for a buck.  And what is a "double premium"?


Meryl Streep won her third Oscar last night, but Clooney was shut out. So it goes.

8 comments:

Emily M said...

Baseball, yay! I keep meaning to go down to Twins spring training but can never convince EMSA until well after the fact. Oh well, maybe next year.

I think a Premium refers to a higher quality/name brand hard liquor? I could be wrong.

Santini said...

Lots of good content today -- something quite different. A bit of blogging about baseball is a refreshing change of pace.

Gino said...

Double premium: double shot from one of the premium brands.

BDE said...

Good post with entertaining content and pics. I agree with Gino re the double premium. I remember when we all went to a game there and had great fun on an nice sunny day. Big winter storm afoot here.

mario said...

Take me out to the ball field...

ivy said...

Love me some baseball!

meformina said...

Post more baseball related information.

thanks!

metformina 850 said...

Awesome post, and cool pictures. Keep up the good work! I love baseball!