Monday, March 22, 2010

Marching On with Soggy Boots

It's getting to be springy. The crocus plants outside my door are relentlessly pushing up through the old growth around them. It's sure nice to have flowers again. Soon there will be tulips and that most relentless of all flowers - dandelions.


The flood down by the river continues to progress. I went down to check out the current state of Harriet Island. The big open lawn where the Taste of Minnesota occurs every July is flooded and Raspberry Island is closed to the public - too dangerous, the signs say. I was at Harriet Island around noon and there were a lot of people using the sidewalks that were still open. The running folk from the businesses in the area were pounding the pavement and gawkers with cameras, me included, were out and about taking photos of the spectacle. The crest, the high point of the flood, has not yet arrived, but will in a day or two. The river is quite wide, but I don't think that any buildings are threatened. That's the river bed, on the other side of the sidewalk in use by strolling citizens. The St Paul Cathedral can be seen in the background, Science Museum to the right in the frame.


I took a photo from up on the hill to show what parts of Harriet Island are flooded. The Wabasha Bridge is on the far right. Unless you live near the floodplain, this flood is pretty much a non-event.

Outdoor tennis is coming soon. I actually have seen some of the St Paul courts in use, but I'm still attached to my indoor schedule.

1 comment:

Santini said...

That's a lot of water, but it doesn't look like a disaster, at least at this point. I heard on TV this morning that flood watches and warnings have been cancelled here.

Lovely crocus flowers.