Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dude Cops Oscar

April may be the cruelest month, but March is probably the ugliest. The dirty snow that emerges from the day's snow melt is not pretty. Gray days, that drizzle and go home early, are not pretty. Those potholes in the roads are not only ugly, but also destructive. It's enough to make a guy whine.

Retaining a measure of optimism, I went down by the river in the rain to see about the flood situation. The water is coming pretty strongly down the river, but flood stage is quite a ways away. The Jonathan Paddleford was tied up at the dock at Harriet Island so I had a subject to photograph. You can also see the water level in the background. I'll watch the river over the next month or so to see if the legion of condos on Shepard Road are able to withstand the probable flood. It seems pretty foolhardy to have built them in the flood plain where they now stand. I remember the flood of 1965 when Shepard Road behind where the condos now stand was closed by flood waters.



I've played tennis twice since my return from the sunshine state, but today was an off day. It'll be easier to roust a game when outdoor courts are again usable - and longer daylight hours are created by daylight savings time. I'm off the courts until Thursday night. Daylight savings time returns this weekend.

Jeff Bridges is still "The Dude."

2 comments:

gfr said...

I remember the flood of 1965 pretty well -- it flooded out the St. Paul train depot for a while. OSLO put some photos up of the state of the snow melt there, and you are right -- it isn't pretty. It looks like you've got some steady rains today -- that certainly won't help the flooding situation.

Tucson Happenings said...

That 1965 flood was an event I'll never forget. At the time I was returning by train to St. Paul from Charlottesville Virgina, where I had been attending graduate school. When I arrived at the St. Paul depot, much of the lower West Side was under water,similar to the flood of 1952.Now that must make me an old geezer.

Tucson Happenings