Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ice Fishing Continues into March

I was back at my tennis schedule this morning at Wooddale. The expected cast was in attendance for my reentry to geezer tennis after my journey to Florida. We managed two complete sets in about two hours. The second set was a first occurrence of a sort. After 55 years of tennis there are very few firsts left. We decided to play out a very even set (rather than play a tiebreaker), but were unable to come to resolution. With about ten minutes left before we were to vacate the court, with the score 10-10, we finally decided to play a seven point tie breaker. It's a unique place to engage in tie breaking. It was the first time I have ever won a set at 11-10.

Later in the day after a lunch with the Daughter of Norway at a new Thai restaurant, Mango Thai on Selby, I went to check out the ice on Como. I found that there are still ice fisher people willing to brave the possibility of ice failure even this late in March after a string of days with highs in the 40's. The ice will be gone in less than a month, but today the ice was strong enough. In the photo you can see the new weather front coming in from the southwest, changing the bright sunshine to a chance of rain.




There were some of those "stay around" mallards hanging out on the ice on the lake. They were clustered near an open water spot near the edge of the lake where water was draining into the lake body. Yes, open water on the lake where the icers were fishing. Plus I was able to get another decent shot of wildlife in the saintly city.

1 comment:

Santini said...

I've just been checking the webcams in west Michigan, and there's very little ice left on the lakes there.

Sounds like a nice re-entry into tennis.