Thursday, January 28, 2010

Two

I'm back from Thursday night tennis at Wooddale. We played two sets, and the hardcore girls were scheduled for another match at 8:30 in their USTA women's doubles league. These ladies are serious about their hobby. I stopped at Yang's for Singapore Rice Noodles, mostly mildly spicy. On the way home through the tundra, the guy on the radio announced that the temperature in St Paul was two. A positive two to be sure, but a very low even prime number. The sun is down and whatever heat that remains is sliding away.

Earlier in the day I walked up to Grand Avenue to get away from encroaching cabin fever. The sky over my neighbor's tree was a rich blue, so I took this photo. It's not much to brag about but demonstrates the day was cold and getting cold.



PP had skating lessons in Minneapolis this evening. A few of her young charges actually showed up for the activities, but they were reportedly less than happy about their situation and pouted through the lessons. I thoroughly understand.

SO. I spent some of the day searching the Internet for heirloom tomato seeds. I think I could start my own plants inside this spring and grow some non-hybrid plants and see how tomatoes used to taste. There are several sites selling seeds from a variety of sources, and they aren't very costly. They just need to be planted inside about six weeks before they are to be transplanted outside. It's gratifying to think about heirloom tomatoes on a day like this.

A great Australian women's final will be played in the middle of the night tomorrow between the Mutt and Jeff of pro tennis - Serena and the recently rejuvenated Justine. It could be a lot of fun. I'll be watching a taped replay the following day. Don't call early and tell me the results, please.

4 comments:

Santini said...

Two? Is that really a number?

It sounds like you're staying relatively sane -- the hardest day of the year is January 26, according to somebody or other. I don't know - February can seem awfully long if you live north of the Mason-Dixon.

The hardcore girls are impressive.

Serena won. (Since they haven't played yet, I'm not violating your request.)

Retired Professor said...

That heirloom tomato thing sounds interesting.

T. Tousan said...

Yup, two is really a number, as is minus seven, the current temperature. The sun is shining and the sky is blue. TT

santini said...

The sun is shining and the sky is blue here, too. But it isn't minus 7. I'm thinking this a good thing.