Friday, February 27, 2009

Snowstorm Aftereffects

The nice thing about a big snow storm in this state is that the next day is often very clear with a beautiful blue sky. It's a pretty place to do some snow shoveling and to wait for the city plows to clear off the snow. I took a picture of Fairmount Avenue before the plows came. There are few cars - just the absent minded few that don't mind a parking ticket now and then. The street is passable and packed with snow. After the plow passes there is an opportunity for second shoveling - clearing off the ridge that the plow leaves on the sidewalks opening to the street. It was about five degrees when I took these shots, but it will get to about 20 tomorrow and maybe 30 by early next week. The sun is strong and the snow will be gone soon.


I played tennis indoors at Fort Snelling today. It's an exciting place after a big storm. There is a lot of snow on top of the bubble and as the sun melts pieces of it, large chunks slide off and make a big crashing sound - usually when I'm about to serve. It happened several times today. It was nice to play inside - a place without wind or the annoying glare of the sun - but it's cold and not nearly as nice a spot as that orange orchard that I played in last week. I played two sets and seem to have my cold weather tennis skills back. "I am a serious monster. I have powers you can't understand."

The Princess and Herb are off to Chicago tonight, braving the possible weather problems with the confidence of youth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice sky. The forecast here is for thunderstorms and wind tomorrow, so you got out of here in time. Tennis sounds pretty good -- back on your A game.