Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Curling, curling

On a day when the temperature actually broke into above freezing temperatures, tonight the Miller Rink scored our third victory of the season. We will not be chosen to represent the USA at the next Winter Olympics, but it's nice to win once in a while. We played with just three curlers - Mr Moohoo, Wireless, and me. Of course we were bolstered by the support of our loyal fans - PP and BB. They watched and had a brew or two while we coasted to an 8-1 lead after four ends. Then the unexpected happened. With two ends left to be completed, our opponents decided to pack it in. They didn't realize that we are capable of blowing a lead even that large, I guess, or maybe they needed to get back to drinking beer. They shook hands and we swept the ice, the chore of the winners. Pretty sweet.



I've been back from my trip to Port Charlotte for almost a week now. It's been winter since I returned, but today seemed to hint at spring. The puddles on the street corners were growing large, and they were liquid almost all day. I still have a little tan on my legs from the tennis and biking I did in the Sunshine State, but I suspect that it will fade before real spring arrives in the North Star State.

I played USTA mixed doubles tennis Sunday evening and lost to a pretty good team. Marcia and I lost 6-0, 7-5. It took us nine games before we broke into the win column, but after we finally figured out how to play the other team, things went pretty well. It was a match against the team that we are tied with for the league lead, so it would have been nice to win, but it was a good match and I was proud of our ability to come back at the end.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Good curling, 8-1 is a pretty big lead. The other team knew their capacity to blow opportunities, too. Playing well is a big part of what is fun -- your tennis demonstrates that. Of course, playing well and winning is even more fun. Good news on the arrival of spring on the tundra, however tentative it may be.