Wednesday, July 11, 2012

One thousand

It's time that I blogged again. I've been short of material (that usually means my photos are of below par quality) and not much really exciting has been happening. But I'm invigorated by Mr and Mrs Smith's trip to Paris and the prospects for some good blog reading, and by the fact that I just realized that this is my 1000th blog entry - the first was May 3, 2007.

It's been a hot few weeks and this week was a kind of reprieve from the 90's and 100's of the early part of the month. I've been to Como just walking around (JWA) and have a few pictures of the place where I take quite a few photos. The Conservatory is pictured from a somewhat different angle than usual, on the slope down toward the frog pond. I guess frog pond is a good enough name for it - there is a stone frog in the pool, or maybe it's concrete.


A duck on the stone frog's head.


It was 88 today, with reasonable humidity. The usual tennis crowd gathered at Marie courts and we played some tennis. I've been somewhat off my game lately, I think because of the difficulty of dealing with the heat and humidity and staying adequately hydrated. Today worked better because I made a conscious effort to get ahead of the water need by drinking a couple of large glasses of water before leaving the house for the courts. It seemed to work and my level of fatigue seemed to be less than during the height of the heat wave. I think I'll stick with the regimen for a while to see where it leads.

I spent some of the morning watching the 10th stage of the Tour de France. It was a mountain stage and Thomas Voeckler, the popular French cyclist, won the stage. There has been some talk about doping again in this year's race, but so far the unexpected strong riders haven't been caught, if indeed they're doping. It was a good race, but it's less fun when it seems like there is cheating going on.

I don't think that there is any doping in professional tennis. But then I didn't think that there was any doping in baseball for a long time and it turned out that there was quite a bit of it.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Congratulations on 1,000 posts. That's a lot of words and a lot of photos.

The duck on a frog photo has some interesting pink reflection around the frog.

I would imagine there was dancing in the streets of Paris when that plucky Voeckler won the stage.

Theo said...

congrats on 1000 post, that's a lot of typing and pictures

-TotallyJamin