Tuesday, July 24, 2012

1001

It's not a prime number. 1001. But it's a lot of posts. I have a few photos from the last several days while I was taking a break from blogging to commemorate a thousand and now I'm beginning the second thousand. I have some photos from several trips to Como Park, where I often walk for exercise and to appreciate the natural and near natural areas around the lake and the Conservatory.

I caught a bee at work on this orange flower at the butterfly garden near the frog pond at Como.
Some whitish flowers growing outside and near the Como Conservatory.
Three ducks at Como Park, swimming at ease in the summer sun.
It's been hot lately, actually most of the month. Yesterday was a tennis day and even though the thermometer in my car said 97, we played a couple of sets and it was actually fun. It helps if you get hydrated ahead of time and strive to stay hydrated through the whole process. There were seven guys who were willing to spend an hour and a half in the sun and all of them were still feeling pretty well at the end of the day. I walked off feeling well, but I came home to air conditioning, a little snack, and a short nap.

The Olympics begins on Friday. I guess there will be a pretty good tennis tournament at Wimbledon as part of the competition. I'm looking forward to watching some of the competition, hoping that NBC will squeeze some of the good matches into their coverage. I'm planning to watch some of the events on the internet. It is reported that all the events will be available on line. It would be pretty nice if Andy Murray could win the singles, since he's been stymied in his efforts to win Wimbledon in the best of five set format that is used in tennis grand slam events. In the Olympics winning two of three sets is enough.

I enclose a video that I encountered on the Discover Magazine site.   It's one of the earliest uploads of non-text data to the internet - purportedly.  It's a bevy of beauties from CERN singing a do-wop song to the scientist boy friends in their lives who prefer their collider to them.  It also has a section featuring Cray computers from the early nineties when I was doing software for the same machines.  Very nice memories for me.

[7*11*13 = 1001]

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

The two flower photos are great -- vibrant colors, crisp focus. Nice.

Blogging takes time and energy, plus a dose of inspiration. I think it's okay to take a break.