Friday, January 18, 2008

Three Degrees

I was out for a while in the "heat" of the day. This photo of downtown St Paul from Harriet Island features steam from the central heating facility that warms the downtown and a river that is nearly frozen over. It was still 3 degrees when I took the photo, but with a little wind, I decided against an extended trek. As I write the temp has slipped to eight below zero on its way to colder.



Indoor tennis is still planned for tomorrow morning. The building is heated.

The Australian Open, the first major tennis tournament is being contested in the summer that is Melbourne. Andy Roddick, the best American man, was upset yesterday, which left 3 US men in the hunt.. Serena and Venus Williams are the only US women left and are seeded seven and eight. Roger Federer and Justine Henin are the top seeds and favorites to win.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of the city in winter. A little frozen river, billowing steam -- you must live pretty far north. It looks COLD. -- SS

Emily said...

Very nice photo. Did you happen to catch the Hewitt match this morning? It was 4:30 in the morning, local time, when they were done. An excellent match all around, but I wouldn't want to be playing that late.

Anonymous said...

Emily - I saw a little of the match, but I was on a tennis court myself when the TV scheduled view ended. There have been several good matches in the Aussie Open - the James Blake match last night was good and the Federer match was also a squeaker. TT