Saturday, January 12, 2008

Four and Out

The four day tennis marathon is over and I'm slightly knackered. The USTA 8.0 mixed doubles match was a lot of fun, but very competitive, It was a nice victory, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0, because the opposing team was good plus significantly younger than Marcia and I. The overall team also won 2-1 to improve our league record to 3-2. The match finished at about 9:35 pm, just as Jerry, our captain. got a call that his wife was out driving in the snowstorm and hit some ice and spun out, the well named 360. There were no injuries, but, if you saw the Packers-Seahawks game on TV today, that was the same snowstorm that we had last night. The drive home was interesting, but I managed to stay on the road. Not everyone that I shared the road with was as lucky. There was an upside down trailer on the exit ramp from I-694 to !-94.

The geezer tennis match this morning was closely contested and fun. The sets were 3-6, 6-4, and included lots of good points. We chatted again after playing ended and I found out some more stuff about the geezers. Both of the guys with artificial hips used to be marathon runners. Jerry finished 10 marathons, including Grandma's in Duluth five times, and Bill H. ran only one. I think the correlation between marathoners and hip replacements is obvious. These guys have and continue to enjoy rigorous physical activity. Both guys have given up running and Jerry rides his bike everywhere in the summer. Biking, as I have perhaps noted before, is the fallback exercise regimen for older runners. It is much easier on the joints.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good run of competitive tennis.

I did see the the end of that game -- it caught my attention while I was channel surfing because of all the snow on the field. When I saw it was Green Bay, I had to watch. They're just across the lake from home. I've never done a 360 that I can remember, but I did do a 180 in the middle of Ottawa Beach Road in front of Van Wieren's once. Not fun. Stay safe. -- SS